Monday, January 02, 2017

Observations of a Singular Lunacy

Image Source: http://freestock.ca/signs_symbols_g43-grunge_road_sign__infinite_love_limit_p3039.html

Observations of a Singular Lunacy

Love is a beautiful, delicate madness.
Certainly, I’m not the first to observe this,
but this is the first time that I’ve observed it
with such certainty, because I love you.

I love you with a fullness and fondness;
an acute completeness that defies reason.
I love you in fractures and totality;
your eddies and currents,
your movements in space,
each curious miracle of motion
within my sphere of vision and influence.

It is a thoroughly examined love
that scans your worldview,
earnestly questing the cracks where I fit.

It is a love that compels me
to lift the Cascades from your path
should you seek it, while admonishing me
to leave no blade of grass misplaced
or mar the sand with ruddy footprints,
so you can admire their simple beauty.

It is a love that wants to be your companion
always,
but could also be concealed,
evaporated into vapor by sunlight
if you wish it so,
for I love you enough
to offer your greatest desire,
even if you desire for that love
to cease to exist within your presence.

How can a love
be selfish enough to envelope you,
but selfless enough to allow you cast it aside
should you seek a reality where
it isn’t welcome?

It is a feeling, an emotion,
a state of being best shared,
but surprisingly not necessarily so.
I tell you, it is madness, and delicate,
and a beautiful state of existence
that compels me to tell you
my observations.

I ask no action of you
upon knowing these things,
I only demand that you know them,
and know that I declare my truth

with absolute clarity.
***



My first poem of the year. No prompt. Figured I'd go with a freeform and a topic that I really enjoy. It just felt right. 

10 comments:

  1. You nailed it on the first line:
    "Love is a beautiful, delicate madness."
    A lovely "confession" and contemplation on the most perplexing and illogical emotion we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this part combining both the selfish and the selfless: "How can a love
    be selfish enough to envelope you,
    but selfless enough to allow you cast it aside
    should you seek a reality where
    it isn’t welcome?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a love that compels me
    to lift the Cascades from your path
    should you seek it, while admonishing me
    to leave no blade of grass misplaced
    or mar the sand with ruddy footprints,
    so you can admire their simple beauty.

    Such beautiful lines!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful composition of love, filled with sincere declaration, humility and desire for the good of the other ~ This is my favorite part:

    It is a love that wants to be your companion
    always

    ReplyDelete
  5. You present a very candid, and beautiful love statement. Thank you for writing your poem, it inspires love for others as well, and that they share it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning love poem. I particularly like these lines: "It is a thoroughly examined love
    that scans your worldview,
    earnestly questing the cracks where I fit."

    So brilliant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely beautiful - a declaration simple in its complexity. Like a map to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh what an ode to "real" love - cracks and all, or "I love you in fractures and totality;" as you put it

    for me, the biggest bite is in the honesty of
    I ask no action of you
    upon knowing these things,
    I only demand that you know them,
    and know that I declare my truth

    with absolute clarity.

    nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. for some reason the title had me reading this as a declaration of love too the moon...interesting how well it fits that narrative, although I am sure the moon was not the target of your wonderfully written ode.

    ReplyDelete