Thursday, August 18, 2016

Meeting the Bar – Form: Tanka (Four Dislocated Tanka)

Meeting the Bar – Form: Tanka (Four Dislocated Tanka)

Image source: unknown
greyscale goodbyes

I held you that night
knowing we’d never return
to our rain-soaked youth
droplets merge with my own tears
dissolving into grey streaks
***
 
Image source: By Frederic Leighton - Art Renewal Center – description, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1779390
communing with an ocean gem

mermaid at moon tide
pierces my blues with her song
cosmic distance felt
whispered secrets to the moon
so that my verse reaches her
***
 
Image source: Pinterest
photosynthetic embrace  

you are the method
of converting light to love
and love to motion
sweeping through mundane actions
content to move worlds for you
***

Image source: http://wallpaperbeta.com/fireflies/
internet courtesan

at the speed of light
we exchange want, desire
air between, ablaze
fireflies traversing space
fingertips can never touch
** *

Written for dVerse Poets Meeting the Bar – Form: Tanka. The lovely Toni Spencer is hosting. I’ve always been intrigued by Japanese poetic forms ever since I read Japanese Death Poems. Toni is a wealth of knowledge regarding these forms, and I’m glad she is showcasing the tanka today. I love the tanka form so much that I tried four separate ones. I may come back later this weekend and add a few more.


Go here to read other dVerse Poets tanka poems.  

7 comments:

  1. I love the concept of love without touch in the last tanka... internet can be very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our rain-soaked youth .... This tanka for me contained so much romance ...ah the youthful love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle Walters Rose8/19/2016 10:02 AM

    Grayscale Goodbyes is so sad and touching...I enjoyed all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quire a quartet. Lovely images within each one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SMiLes..
    as i'Ve comE
    to feel.. first loves
    gRow old but last
    ones stay young..
    and Jesus
    F. iN Christ..
    i do mean
    thaT literAlly2..
    aS eYes of Isis
    oN Earth iNcarnate iSREAL..;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love each one as it has a different voice, but the last one is beautiful as a firefly.

    Thanks for joining us Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful quartet of tanka, Barry. Love the love without touch in the last one (a nice modern take on the form) and the greyscale goodbyes was tenderly sad.

    ReplyDelete