Saturday, June 25, 2016

shinotsukuame – intense rain

Image source: http://wallpaperswide.com/rainy_weather-wallpapers.html

shinotsukuame – intense rain

Damn this rain. It comes down in unrelenting torrents, taking my breath away as it strikes the roof above me. It forces conflicting ideologies to huddle under the same awning to wait to take action. Critical decisions are delayed by compressed, intense, unending condensation; lives hang in purgatory due to science run amuck, mocking my inevitable inertia miles away from home, miles away from her, miles that might as well be decades of waiting on this blasted storm to relent. She will patiently keep my place by her fire. I know this. But I also know that nothing lasts forever except for this biblical barrier blocking my way to her, mocking my best-laid plans to warmth and comfort. When I open the door to view the torrential shinotsukuame and curse her to her face, the sun gently kisses my face, and giggling children are bounding to and fro, boisterously playing outside. Both are tactile and sonic interruptions to my internal downpouring monologue. I could go to her now, but it’s always raining somewhere.

It’s always raining
Especially the moments
I can’t feel her warmth.

** *
Written for dVerse Poets Haibun Monday: 50 Shades of Rain. This is Toni Spencer’s wonderful prompt about rain. Since I equate intense rain with my ongoing battle with depression, combining the two was a no-brainer. It practically wrote itself.

Go here to read other dVerse poets’ entries to this prompt.


4 comments:

  1. This is so good, Barry. I love opening that door to sunshine kisses and children playing. Very metaphorical as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the turn from that torrrential rain, outside and inside, to the sun and children's laughter.

    The use of rain as a metaphor in the haiku is very well done.

    Thanks for joining us Barry and wishing you a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this one. You are rain are like blood brothers.

    ReplyDelete