Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Day 6 - Energy Transfer

Image source: Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=114302

Energy Transfer

I once thought love meant
I should be everything
she needed to grow,
everything, but my truest self,
and in being her everything,
I could pluck her from the garden,
give her air and water,
and she would bloom,
exposing colors and scents
known only to me.
I was a fool, and love withered
within my greedy palms.

I’ve learned that love
is not meant to be plucked,
sequestered, and hidden away
for exclusive consumption; she
flows freely between those
who share a bond; she
takes many forms and
does not oblige me to shapeshift
into things I am not,
she waits for me when I cannot keep up,
she smiles at me when I write her name
on the dusty furniture I should be cleaning,
she looks back at me from old photographs
where her lifespan was shortened
by my immaturity.

Love is unquantifiable, inexhaustible,
flourishes in daylight,
and hides within the midnight depths of fissures
spreading from jagged cracks
within the brokenhearted.
Love surrounds me,
binding me to the garden that I tend,
not from obligation,
but because i choose love.
Once I decided to choose love
rather than seize it
for my own selfish whims,
behold!

I become the flower.  



4 comments:

  1. What you did here is magical:

    "I was a fool, and love withered
    within my greedy palms.

    I’ve learned that love
    is not meant to be plucked,
    sequestered, and hidden away
    for exclusive consumption"

    I am so excited that you're doing NaPoWriMo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very beautiful poem. Love does come in different forms and is always a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes time for us to flower...
    A beautiful wise write BTW.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete