Friday, May 01, 2015

Day 30 - grasping autumn

grasping autumn

there are things we don’t discuss anymore
in the coffeehouse summer evenings after class
the blushes, unnecessary brushes with coveted contact
the chambered “yes” unreleased for unspoken invites
the eyes imploring, always the eyes imploring
the all-night exchange of ideas, broken up by birdsongs
the unnecessary phone calls and messages saying
“can’t wait to see you!” when
what we really mean is
“really can’t wait to see you!”
the hugs that reach around to grasp autumn
until every leaf has hopelessly fallen
the way I have tumbled, dragging you willingly
as you clutch me, regaining balance in a way
that claims our dignity, leaving only our thirst

which is something we don’t discuss anymore
***

That's all, folks! 30 poems in 31 days, while selling my house, moving my home residence while passionately watching the NBA playoffs, and all of this with a broken hand. My ex-wife said that I never finish what I start. Well take THAT, woman! 

Thanks for hanging in there with me, everyone! See you next year!


6 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful way to end the month of poems. When you write from your heart few do it better than you. This poem made me a bit tearful !Thank you for your visits throughout the month. Much appreciated since I know you have been so busy.
    I hope I don't have to wait a year for more poems...keep writing Barry ...it gives a lot of people pleasure and Lord knows there is not much of it around.... hope you find some incredible joy in the future... you will...I just know it
    Cheers and Chuckles
    Cressida
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the metaphor and imagery in this. And I agree with Cressida, a lovely way to end the month of poems . Thanks for your comment on mine and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that last, you need a cape and a catchy superhero name. Awesome poem, and what Cressida said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With that last, you need a cape and a catchy superhero name. Awesome poem, and what Cressida said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the unbalance//balance is what grasps me most here... doing each other good.. nice... and hey.. hope your hand heals up quickly

    ReplyDelete
  6. how did I miss this one? ~

    ReplyDelete