Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Day 28 - why I prefer snapdragons over tiger lilies

why I prefer snapdragons over tiger lilies

don’t listen to the tiger lily
he’s as beautiful as a summer day is long
but he don’t know what the fuck
he talkin bout, and won’t stop
with the unsolicited advice
he’s all like, “don’t do those bad things
because bad things will happen to your roots
you might get arrested, and
the whole garden will look bad
if you get plucked.”
shut the fuck up, tiger lily!
my nigga, you don’t even know me!

the snapdragon on the other hand
though every bit as stunning,
is a bit more introspective
his angle is more subtle, inside-out
telling a story that’s compelling me to feel
like, “this one time, I did some bad things
and a series of bad things happened to my roots
I don’t know how I didn’t get arrested
everyone in my crew except me lost their stems
fate spinning us like maple seeds on warm currents
never again, bruh. never again.”

always listen to the snapdragon
he is a fire-breathing prophet
pollinating the garden with the wisdom

of fertile calamitous tales

***
Written for imaginary garden with real toads' flowers named after animals prompt, but not shared there. I haven't had a chance to read other poet's poetry as often as I'd like to with all my multitasking this month. I don't want to take without giving back. 

Besides, brevity was requested, and my poem is too long!


2 comments:

  1. I love everything about this poem. I had no idea that snapdragons were so wise. (I'm not actually sure what they even look like.) I want to put this stanza in my poetry notebook and read it every time I open it.

    always listen to the snapdragon

    he is a fire-breathing prophet

    pollinating the garden with the wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to live amongst those beautiful snapdragons in your photo.

    ReplyDelete