Thursday, April 02, 2015

Day 2 - On the Rocks

On the Rocks

“The ship of my life may or may not be sailing on calm and amiable seas. The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising. Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today I am blessed.” — Maya Angelou

She swiftly shrank from vision
Like stars obscured by dusk cloud
Veering from a dark collision

Cursing my indecision
Vainly peering through the shroud
She swiftly shrank from vision

With moonlit-pierced precision
Steering toward her shadow, bowed
Veering from a dark collision

The wake of my incision
Pierce the sea as we avowed
She swiftly shrank from vision

Fate lurching towards division
Course correcting, I curse out loud
Veering from a dark collision

Rash acts invite derision
Waypoint lost among the crowd
She swiftly shrank from vision
Veering from a dark collision
***

I created this poem using the dVerseThe Art of Villanelle prompt (also inspired by NaPoWriMo's Day 2 constellation prompt), though I won't post my poem on the dVerse link this time. This month is full of challenges for me. I'm selling my house, moving, i broke my hand, helping my son flesh-out his career choices, and I'm STILL going all-in on NaPoWriMo. I wont't have as much time to read and share this month, and I don't want to "link and run" either. 

However, I do reserve the right to read and comment on the wonderful work of others on my own time. If you're a fan of this intricate form as I am, I suggest you do the same. :) 


2 comments:

  1. You've blended your inspiration into a lovely piece here. Villanelles we're popular when I took poetry writing classes yonks ago, and they usually bore me because of it. Your poem is interesting with a luscious feel and wonderful language.

    Not about your poem: I hope your hand gets better, and your move is smooth, and your son finds what fulfills him. At two days in, you are killing it at NaPoleon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good..I have lost my feeling for form at the moment. Very impressed you can address your mind to complicated form while selling a house. I am doing the same and find it daunting. I told the last person interested in buying , the sale price would include everything in the house and on the property. I just want to walk out with a handbag and become a gypsy!....I don't think it is going to work out like that... (chuckles)

    And a broken hand !!!!!...so you are typing with one hand. Well you are in the wars..No, not a good time at the moment for either of us. I hope your son finds a career which is relatively well paid and stress free.My piano tuner charges a fortune. His father advised him on this path because people who get pianos tuned are not aggressive and almost always very nice and interesting to chat to. He told me that:)

    ReplyDelete