Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day 18 - Love's Deception


Love's Deception

“I’m touched by the idea that when we do things that are useful and helpful - collecting these shards of spirituality - that we may be helping to bring about a healing.” ― Leonard Nimoy

is love just a construct?
is love ever just enough?
is love something coveted
but received like a gambler’s bluff?
when lovers declare themselves
do they just receive lover’s lust?
or should they prepare themselves
for when they deceive lover’s trust?

is love just a loser’s gamble?
is deception inevitable?
is perception an interception of senses
as eyes wander and ramble?
will she stay by your side
or give in again to love’s phoniness,
flaking on your schemes, while faking their holiness
like living a dream, awaking to loneliness?

and if she’s true to her word
and you live happy ever after
there is no written foreword
of happiness beyond the chapter
in the best-laid schemes of morality of the heart
what awaits our dreams is mortality, then depart
how do you justify the consent to heartbreak
when you must testify to resentment and ache?

I submit that I love,
and love the power of love
in totality; noun, verb, sound, reverb
spirituality pound, serve, found, unnerve
nerve endings hardwired to beginnings required
I’d even choose love with dying breath that expired
if love is deceiving me then I choose the deception
cause love’s never leaving me
as my muse for reception.

 ***

Written for imaginary garden with real toadsThe Legacies of Nimoy & Pratchett prompt. Both men passed away recently. Our challenge was to use one of their quotes as inspiration for a poem. As a huge fan of Mr. Spock, this one was a no-brainer for me. 

I took Nimoy's quote above as an insightful observation on unconditional love and then meditated on the nature of all love in general, and specifically, romantic love, the risks, the inevitable outcomes, wondering if it's ultimately worth the trouble, etc... 

My depression blocked me yesterday, so it's always fun to rebound the next day with an idea that seems to just fall out of my head.


9 comments:

  1. This is an intriguing and many faceted response - love is like that...great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! 'Unanswerable questions' I thought as I was reading — and then you answered them so perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also choose love. There can be pain, but what is life without love? Beautiful piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love is the way.. It's the only way, and making complexity simple is the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ask the unanswerable questions but I am with you in your choice to make love all-important, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason this made me think of CS Lewis' = "The rule for all of us is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbour; act as if you did." Love is that important as you so beautifully point out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love is a soul's nourishment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "if love is deceiving me then I chose the deception
    cause love's never leaving me
    as my muse for reception."

    Wonderful last lines.

    ReplyDelete