Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day 16 - tide swells

image source: Google


tide swells

tide swells vanish, leaving me empty
the storm contracts, vanishing to leaf-rustles
thunder no longer reverbs sudden terror
lightening canceled to earth by copper rod

rainwater drains into gutters and streams
combining with glacial runoff, forming rivers
pooling into lakes, some natural
others manmade, dammed-up, harnessed

driving turbines, generators, electrons
in constant motion across countless miles
on the demand of a single power button
pressed by some lonely soul

struggling to find meaning in his

emotional tidal pools
***

I used NaPoWriMo's Day 15 prompt. Well, kinda. Day 15's prompt challenged us to write a poem that referenced itself (kinda like, "Hey there, my haiku, why must you be so rigid, and yet way too short?")

Many people are great at this level of self-awareness, bu I'm not. It's a personal flaw, but I'm just not good enough to try something like that yet. I felt silly being so direct, so I couched the theme in an extended metaphor. I'm more comfortable throwing up visual barriers than doing stuff like, "Hey! This is a poem about a poem!"



1 comment:

  1. I couldn't quite get my head around that prompt, but I think you served it well ~

    ReplyDelete