Wednesday, March 18, 2015

where land yields

Image courtesy of Google


where land yields


you visited me where land yields to the sea
where heaven rears back and blows kisses to the sea
the salt of your breath blurred my tears, blinding me
beyond my horizon, looking out to the sea
fog eats evergreen islands, robbing it of jewelry
emeralds consumed and known only to the sea

alone in this crowded bluff,
form is devoured by formless void
vision reduced to pauper palettes
incomplete in perfect streaks of ash,
charcoal, graphite, even sunlight squeezed into
ineffectual pale, genuflecting to the gale

sound compresses into a single pulse
unrelenting, except for melodies of past failure
and the relentless syncopation of self-doubt
cocooned in this shrinking, colorless, action-plan
of compressing fetal-position where
the cellular implodes into a pinpoint of light  

standing in the colorless, soundless, shrinking
midday pale darkness, I take a single breath
and then I take another
there is a hint of aqua reflecting a sun sliver
and so I breathe again,
curious about the next one

you visited me where land yields to the sea
where heaven rears back and blows kisses to the sea
the salt of your breath soothed my tears, binding me
to see my horizon, looking out to the sea
fog overtakes me and the evergreen tree
emeralds exchange hands, returning to the sea
***


Go here to read other dVerse Poets' contributions.



4 comments:

  1. A beautifully woven foggy poem with just that breath of salty breeze - love the final two stanzas especially. Thanks so much for sharing this with us - it was good to read your wonderful words on this foggy morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inhaling your words deeply ~ I love the refraining first and last verses, and these lines resonated with me:

    there is a hint of aqua reflecting a sun sliver
    and so I breathe again,
    curious about the next one

    ReplyDelete
  3. the imagery is gorgeous...taking a breath to reveal the colors once again after being cocooned in self-doubt... great message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the subtle way that you use color here, making me feel the cool dampness and how it helps awaken your senses. I also kind of adore the opening and closing stanzas and the use of rhyme and repetition.

    ReplyDelete