Thursday, June 26, 2014

Rage Quit

Rage Quit*

Confucius say you’ll pay for your beliefs;
to fuse your spine with ice to temper beefs
While tempers stoke the flames with no relief
Tank-Man is still in China, crushing ammo in his teeth.

I feel the pressure pour from the pores
Fate bubbles into hate; what’s mine is now yours.
Magnanimously ignite the shores.
My pulse pumps napalm, our palms embrace wars.
Retrace the state for these martial law tours.
Replace the blind scales with eye-for-eye scores

Fanatically release the shackled fiend
that berserkers usurp, we slurp-up the weaned
vanquished side of saber-rattle we battle, double-teamed.
We vanquish vandals, violins score the screams.
Ghandi felt economy of movement in our schemes.
Buddha blessed the bitches with stitches and shattered dreams.



http://youtu.be/FJt7gNi3Nr4

***
This is for the DaDa, Daddy–dVerse Meeting the Bar writing prompt, which challenges most of what I consider to be conventional structure. To quote from dVerse (because I lack enough insight to accurately paraphrase):
“Dadaism was born of the horrors and brutality of World War I. Disillusioned artists of all disciplines, affected by the degradation of social structures, repressive cultural values and unquestioning acceptance of a War that led to so much loss of human life, rebelled against the status quo. A loosely affiliated network of artists and poets, originally clustered around Zurich, adopted a subversive and revolutionary approach to visual art, performance art and poetry. These artists did not so much adapt a common style or practice, but rather sought “to destroy the hoaxes of reason and to discover an unreasoned order.” Jean Hans Arp. The focus of their work was not so much on beauty or appearance as on the ideas the work conveyed.”
Normally, I would’ve skipped this prompt because it felt a bit too challenging. As fate would have it though, I was juuuuust grumpy enough to say, “Fuck it. I gotta vent some frustration. Let’s just see what happens.”
Also read the wonderful work of fellow dVerse poets here.

*Go here for the urban definition, if you’re unfamiliar with the term “Rage Quit”

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you felt grumpy enough to write this terrific (rhyming, no less) rant. I could just feel the anger and you refer to so many things related to war and to (I'm guessing) the student who got run over in Tianamen (sp?) square. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think poetry is a fantastic way to vent frustration... and probably dada poetry esp... rage quit is a cool word even though i wished no one would but rather talk through things... well played..

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I didn't know the term 'ragequit' either, although my older son does it regularly when we play board games. Glad you did take part in this prompt after all - and your rage is absolutely justified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire the title and raging energetic temper flaring vanquishing screaming words and shattered dreams ~ Strong voice Barry though under the dadaist words, your emotions get through ~ Perhaps this is an effective way of letting out your angst, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha. nice fluidity to this, the opening line --- true....but in reading this i def feel the energy of the rant...nice song to play off of as well....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just terrific .. the horrors are so well felt in your words.. and tomorrow it's 100 years since the shooting in Sarajevo.. so going back to the origins really make sense to me...

    ReplyDelete

  7. this is written in true dada spirit..."I feel the pressure pour from the pores"..very well said...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rhyming really makes this effective and gives it a rhythm as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A true poem..liked it very much. This is a proper protest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the rhyme and reason in your play on words here....a brilliant Dadaism write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this poem. I think there' s a reason I'm reading this now instead of when you posted it. It really taps into how I feel, and it has a cool rhyme scheme to boot. I think you did DaDa good.

    ReplyDelete