Friday, April 25, 2014

Dissonance of Her

Kissing_the_War_Goodbye

Dissonance of Her

 

In another reality

We were just curious kids

I walked into the closet with her

She showed me hers, I showed her mine

Our parents caught us, whipped us good

 

But actually, I chickened-out at the last-minute

Her and another boy went instead

They got caught and whipped good.

 

In another reality

I did not sneak outside with my cousins

We did not play midnight ball in the alley

Our grandma did not catch or whip us good

 

But actually I went along with the crew

Had more fun than I knew

Got caught and whipped good.

 

In another reality

I did not take my high school girlfriend back

After being dumped and humiliated by her

I did not conceal my desperation by wedding her

I did not waste ten years convincing myself that

I loved her when I would rather had been

Caught and whipped good.

 

In another reality

I did not allow the Australian Barfly to kiss me

Because in another reality I held and kissed her first

I’m sure that in all the other realities, I kissed her first

I should probably still be kissing her in this reality

 

Instead of writing this poem, in another reality

I should be kissing her right now

Would not have mattered if anyone

Caught and whipped me good afterwards

 

In another reality

I did not allow the Australian Barfly to kiss me

Because in some of those realities, I was still wedded

To a woman whom I struggled to convince myself

That I somehow deserved the dissonance of her

 

But I did deserve the tenderness of the kiss

I have learned that we all deserve

 

To be caught and whipped at times.

***

napo2014button2

NaPoWriMo Day 25 – To quote NaPoWriMo’s write-up of today’s prompt:

“Anaphora is a literary term for the practice of repeating certain words or phrases at the beginning of multiple clauses or, in the case of a poem, multiple lines.”

2 comments:

  1. ugh..taking the girlfriend back after she humiliated you and even marrying her... the decisions we make...can be painful for years... and some things are worth a good whipping..ha.. a kiss def. is i would say..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh...Love the push /pull stream of consciousness in the poem.
    And always present that underlying sense of irony and self deprecation so characteristic of Australian and British humour.I know you are an American but you write like us.There are a lot of dangerous animals in Australia. The barfly being one of the most deadly. ...so good decision to stay clear of her kisses. LOL

    ReplyDelete