Thursday, March 27, 2014

Waypoint

visit_photo

Photo courtesy of Mukilteo Historical Society

Waypoint

 

Alone with you, the road unfurled ahead,

a gray ribbon bisecting graying skies

fearful, I was, of running dry of words

and when I did, we sat, at peace with wind.

 

A lighthouse marked the waypoint of our trip,

museum for earlier ways of life.

Local brewhouse bridged gaps for old and new,

beyond were jagged rocks leading to sea.

 

Varying postings informing, forewarning

native tribes once hunted, gathered near here,

which seals would leave their young to rest nearby,

how we could disrupt them, earning a fine.

 

Instantly, you are laughing, climbing rocks,

knowing I would instantly disapprove,

oblivious to my sharp disapproval,

only approving of my outstretched hand.

 

Through graying grey, bystanders can't stop smiling,

who'd blame them in this heavenly rain?

As clouds play parlor games with distant isles,

we inhale Neptune's breadth, exhale renewed.

 

The wind bites hard into lovers’ embrace,

your face, rosy, smiling, a knowing glance,

your voice snuggles closer, a wind-whisper,

saying “Think I’m ready for that beer now.”

 

At the brewhouse, laughter fills our glass mugs

sharing in ideas conversed and implied.

We should begin our journey, homeward bound,

but you insist on the longest path there

 

And I did not object to such notions.

***

My friends at dVerse are prompting us to try writing blank verse with a focus on rhythm and/or flow. Go here to read the well-crafted poems of other participants.

At first, this prompt struck me as odd because most of my poems have a rhythm to them without me placing much emphasis on the practice of it. But I did try it, and low and behold, I found that actually thinking about the rhythm made my writing process much more challenging. There’s nothing like a challenging exercise to show me how little I actually knew about a thing I once thought mastered! And again, just in time for NaPoWriMo!

 

12 comments:

  1. there's a beautiful playful intimacy in this... and felt closeness.. love the rhythm as well... and i love lighthouses...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool...thanks for bringing us along on your outing, sharing the rhythms of your day. Like a song in your heart beating along with hers ..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hopefulness here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun person to be with ... smiles.

    You're right that most poets write unconsciously with a natural rhythm - or we learn to write in one of the more formal and traditional rhythms - but trying to sustain rhythm through a piece, or to alter it in accordance with the mood of your work is not so easy.

    Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha. the longest road gives us more time with them....for us to enjoy, the moment...i like the phrase at peace with the wind, early on....i like the natural rhythm and really have a hard time trying to box it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the love in this poem. I especially liked the stanza with the climbing of rocks and outstretched hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely day.
    I went through a period of forcing iambic on my lines. And got stuck. Ugh. Subtle, now, that is hard. Yours has nice flow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the walk you take us on.. a walk where sunshine is not in the skies but in the company..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe you did master the iambic. It is the natural flow of English. But with our current patter or patois, we mix it up a good bit backing an iamb with a trochee and reverting again to an iamb. It sounds natural because a lot of cliches, platitudes, everyday phrasing falls that way but it only take a little thought to re-state it and get it in a groove that is danceable and natural at the same time.

    This seemed very natural to me. I enjoyed the day trip with an aura of love and familiarity. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this was a good exercise in iambic pentameter. I am of the thinking that we should try different forms and meters as a kind of cerebral work out while still retaining our own imprint and voice
    which is the challenge.
    You did this successfully.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely cadence when I read it out loud ~ You have done well with this challenge ~

    I wouldn't mind the long way homeward, too ~

    ReplyDelete