Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fleeting

Fleeting

 

Passenger, I

hopeless observer

Downhill-traveler,

where streetlight ends

Asphalt-painter,

where corners bend

light reflections dance

Lakside-skirter, I’m

falling into blackness

Twilight-flirter,

fearer of its

Watery-heart,

void suffocates sound

tree-shadows envy

its Blackened-center,

Piston-pulsed, negation-lake

I look away, fearful

of being devoured

 

Drifter, I

rolling-stoner

Dreamworld-jockey,

slip linen sheets

Pillowey-pilot,

snuff reading lights

Serenity-glider,

sucked into shade

Essence surrounded by

Ravened-espers,

Muted-terrors

examine my worth

And deem me worthy of

Death’s exemption

For now

 

Dreamer, I

Fractioned-shadow

of dust-mite

Weight-lacking a

ripple’s significance

Eyes closed,

theoretical-preamble to

a meditative-waltz

Venus-inhaler,

Jupiter-dunker

Solar mass and

Universe’s dark-matter

first a scholar’s riddle,

then, celestial-toy

Next, an eye-speck to this

Solar-graduate,

galaxy-bender

 

Galaxy upon star-cluster heaped

Onto a mind’s mantle

Until I’m inside-out of everything

And all the feared blackness

Man’s war, famine, strife

An infinity-ball, my feared void

For a hair’s breadth

Of a hair’s breadth

All fit within the worthless-palm

Of one drifting,

Dreaming passenger

 

***

My friends over at dVerse are challenging us to create new kennings. While I admit that my grasp of the concept is rather shaky, this challenge forced me to think poetically again. With NaPoWriMo right around the corner, thinking poetically is a good thing! Go here to read more wonderful examples of kennings. 

10 comments:

  1. Many great kennings here in this philosophical rant; I like best "eye-speak", "venus inhaler", and "rolling-stoner" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely in charge of the kenning-speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a meditative-waltz

    Venus-inhaler, ...is def my fav....ha....def get the kinda on the road feel....and cool identity piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. twilight-flirter and Dreamworld-jockey...so cool....what a journey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great kennings.. I cannot even pick a favourite.. I love how you took us from the intimate and personal to the general of space.. strong symbolism in that.. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have written a lot of terrific word pairings ~ My fav are:

    Twilight-flirter,

    fearer of it

    Watery-heart

    Really well done ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read the challenge, I was going to tweet you to see if you were going to participate, and then I saw you had already. I just knew you were going to write something amazing. And you did. Wow. Seriously, post an audio of you reading this one. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. This is a wonderful compliment, especially seeing how I hold your own writing in such high esteem.

      I don't like my voice very much. I stutter and have a lisp. Don't think I'll be doing any spoken word anytime soon. But thank you all the same!

      Delete
  8. You have really created a good poem using kennings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have packed your poem with some very powerful kennings, Barry! I guess, we poets, are all dreaming passengers in some ways.

    ReplyDelete