Monday, April 25, 2011

The New American Dream


The New American Dream

Bring me your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
So that I might asphyxiate them and coolly call it fair dealing

I am everything foretold of the Rapture, in all its glory
Only the exact opposite, and without a hint of irony

I am the red line on the sign that reads as such:
“You must be this tall to ride Lady Justice,”
Anyone who comes up short triggers the guillotine

I am the prize that rewards shady dealings
As long as I get a lucrative kickback in return
Kinda like a pimp or a crooked DEA agent
Screw me and feel the sting of my backhand
Or worse; feel the cool steel of my justice

I am the law of equivalent exchange
Perverted, beaten, sodomized and tricked-out
To the most discriminating influential Johns

I am the system of loopholes and unpaved potholes
Designed to consume the broken remains of the nameless
So that they’re no longer public eyesores in my utopia

I erase what is already invisible.

I am the sliding scale powered only by gold and privilege
I am splendiferous bureaucracy and idiotic letter of the law
I am the thorny rod for those who dare to dream

I am the absurdity of criminalizing mothers with the audacity of hope

I ensure that the have-nots register their nots
And enforce that their have-nots are not legally binding
In accordance with the Law of Nots,
Ensuring that their nots
Are not someone else’s have-nots

Or God forbid, another’s have-somes

I am the waking, walking,
Living, breathing,
Relentless, incessant
Nightmare of the voiceless who find
Far too little comfort in the charity of others

I am the New American Dream




8 comments:

  1. I think you did a wonderful job here with description, language, wordplay, & imagery. I absolutely love the haves vs have-nots, & have-somes bit. You outdid yourself here, Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch.. the anger in this ... It's like HOWL for the 21st century.. mesmerizing, I would like to hear it read.. the anger and irony..and language is so much beat poetry ... The best I have read from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful and potent with a rush of energy. The word play on the not's was really cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, raw, piercing, passionate and sarcastic at the same time ~ The part of the have-nots really got me as it is so true ~

    I agree, this is one of your best work Barry ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the prize that rewards shady dealings
    As long as I get a lucrative kickback in return

    There are lots of wrongs in society one wished should not occur. Where politics and greed combined it would lead to those many wrongs. Great write Barry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work - really thought-provoking.

    I am the sliding scale powered only by gold and privilege
    I am splendiferous bureaucracy and idiotic letter of the law
    I am the thorny rod for those who dare to dream...

    I couldn't imagine a more pertinent sign of the times than these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are rapidly falling into a two class system, aren't we? These images ins words demonstrate that, boldly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, yes, truth-teller! read this one for us, for everyone.

    ReplyDelete